About the Directorate
Areas of activity
- Developing draft city laws and other legislative acts on archive management and submitting them for consideration, along with other proposals on issues falling within the terms of reference of the Main Archive Directorate, to the Mayor and the Government of Moscow, including:
- Draft laws on storing, collecting, registering and using of the funds of the city archives, museums, libraries, government bodies and other agencies of the Government of Moscow, local government bodies of the city of Moscow, state and municipal unitary enterprises, including state-run enterprises, and government and municipal institutions of Moscow;
- On transferring property rights for archive collections and documents owned by the city of Moscow to the Russian Federation and (or) municipal entities.
- Taking decisions on the following matters in accordance with federal laws and other regulatory documents of the Russian Federation, the Statue of Moscow, laws of the city of Moscow and other regulatory documents of the city of Moscow:
- Adding documents to the Moscow city archives;
- Identifying archived documents as particularly valuable and irreplaceable documents of the Moscow city archives;
- Regulating the use of the city archives, including access to valuable and unique originals or fragile documents stored in the Moscow city archives.
- Submitting proposals on transferring documents from one city archive to another; and submitting proposals to the appropriate city authorities for the transfer of documents from city archives to other archives, or from other archives, museums and libraries to the city archives, including:
- Proposals on archive management in Moscow; storage, collection, recording and use of documents from the city archives, museums, libraries, government bodies and other agencies of the city of Moscow, local government bodies, state and municipal unitary enterprises, including state-run enterprises, and government and municipal institutions of Moscow;
- Proposals on other issues related to exercising authorities in the sphere of archive management and the organisation of the Main Archive Directorate’s activity in cases stated in the Statute of Moscow, laws of the city of Moscow and other regulatory documents.
- Government control over the city and municipal archives, archives of city government bodies in Moscow, archives of local government bodies of Moscow, archives of government and municipal organisations in Moscow, and archives of organisations that provide archive funds to city archives in all areas of archive management in Moscow.